Tag Archives: DIY Decking

DIY Spring Project: Storage Box

This Storage Box is ideal for the inside of the home to store linen, sweaters, and blankets. It could also be use as a durable toy box! This storage box is made with Ipe so it can be use for the outdoors too. It’s large enough to take your garden hand tools from rakes to gloves, pots and shears.
Continue reading

DIY Deck Installation Tips #4 – Check Local Building Codes

Deck Installation Tips

Uh, oh. It looks like Doug forgot to make sure that his deck was up to code.

From the looks of it, it’s safe to assume that Doug forgot to contact his local building department to check his plans. If he had, he probably wouldn’t look so upset.

To avoid Doug’s fate, it’s important that you know what parts of your deck building plan need to be up to your local building codes.

Here are some critical parts of the deck construction process that you should pay close attention to.

Be sure to inspect and/or repair the following: Continue reading

DIY Deck Installation Tips #3 – Prevent Injury on the Job Site

DIY Deck Builing injury

Yikes! Doug, clearly has had issues building a deck.

As you can see, poor Doug has had an accident while cutting his wood decking. Can that guy ever catch a break!? Clearly, great care must always be taken when it comes to building a deck.

“Of course, I knew that already!” is probably the first thought that pops into your head when you read the above sentence.

But, please don’t be like this guy, or Doug:

Man severs thumb in DIY decking accident

It can happen to anyone. The deck tools and accessories you use to build a deck are meant to be treated with respect. So, here are some helpful tips that will give you peace of mind, while also saving a limb, or two: Continue reading

DIY Deck Installation Guide – Introducing Doug the DIY Deck Builder

DIY Deck Building

Introducing Doug, the DIY Deck Builder

At Advantage Trim & Lumber, we’ve heard it all. For close to 20 years, we’ve gathered stories from people across the country who’ve shared their deck building experiences. 95% of these stories have happy endings, but those remaining 5%? YIKES!

Sometimes, what seems like an innocent decision can turn anyone’s deck building plans upside down. Now, don’t get us wrong. We’re also throwing seasoned and experienced deck builders into this pot too. No one is immune to making mistakes. This is why, after hearing so many stories, we’ve decided to throw some humor into the equation.

Introducing Doug, the DIY Deck Builder.

Doug has the best of intentions. But, let’s face it. The dude is dumb as nails. BUT, he’s also a great teacher.

You will learn what NOT to do when building a deck. By increasing your awareness and revealing possible outcomes, you get the chance to build your deck right, the first time.

We encourage you to follow us as we explore his deck building adventure. We’ll be posting new “Doug Tales” periodically and welcome your feedback. If you have any deck building stories you’d like to share, or want people to know what not to do, please use the comment form below. Who knows maybe your story will end up being told by Doug!