We’ve had quite a few people who wanted to give their decks some much needed TLC already call us to ask, “How do I protect my wood deck?”
Protecting a hardwood deck is pretty easy, as long as you use the right deck finish. The one we recommend here at Advantage is Ipe Oil™. Hardwood decking is not a one-size-covers-all material. Hardwoods like ipe, cumaru, tigerwood, teak, and other high-density woods are famous for not taking most finishes. These woods require special products because they’re not easy to penetrate. For instance, ipe and cumaru are so dense that they naturally repel water!
However, a proven deck oil like Ipe Oil™ and Messmers will protect your hardwood decking from ultraviolet rays. UV rays cause many problems including warps and cracks. Preventing these problems is important if you want to get the most out of your decking. So, now that you know what deck oil to use for your hardwood deck…here’s how to apply it:
How to Apply Deck Oil:
- Sweep or wash the deck surface free of dirt and debris.
- Thoroughly shake/stir the can of deck oil. (For a uniform look, you can mix gallons.)
- To ensure adequate penetration, apply a small amount to a sample board.
- Use a 3/8” nap paint roller to apply the deck oil.
- Apply a uniform even coat. Stain the full length of the boards, keeping a wet edge. One coat is usually more than sufficient.
- Within 5 minutes after application, wipe up any area that has pooled and was not absorbed.
- Use mineral spirits to clean nap roller and any extra equipment.
Using the deck oil products will also help replenish the wood’s natural color. Note, these products are not the same a “deck stain.” They won’t change the color of your hardwood. Instead, as previously mentioned, using the right deck oil for wood decking will prolong the life and natural color of your decking.
Want to learn more about deck maintenance? Check out the Deck Maintenance section of this blog, or call us directly 1-877-232-3915.