Concrete is a durable, versatile, and aesthetically pleasing material that has been used in construction for centuries. However, over time, exposure to the elements can make concrete look dull and worn.
Concrete sealers with a “wet look” are a popular choice for those looking to enhance and protect their concrete surfaces. This article dives deep into what these sealers are, their benefits, and how to apply them.
What Are Wet Look Concrete Sealers?
Wet look concrete sealers are solvent-based or water-based acrylic sealants designed to give concrete surfaces a glossy, “just-wet” appearance. They not only enhance the look of your concrete but also provide a layer of protection against water, stains, and UV rays.
Benefits of Using Wet Look Sealers
- Aesthetic Appeal: The glossy finish enhances the natural beauty of the concrete, making colors and textures pop. It’s especially beneficial for stamped, colored, or decorative concrete surfaces.
- Protection: These sealers protect against water penetration, which can lead to mold, mildew, and structural damage. Additionally, they resist oil, grease, and other common stains.
- UV Resistance: Over time, UV rays can fade and degrade concrete surfaces. Wet look sealers often have UV stabilizers that prevent this degradation.
- Durability: Once applied, these sealers extend the life of the concrete, reducing the need for frequent maintenance and repairs.
How to Apply Wet Look Concrete Sealers
- Clean the concrete surface thoroughly to remove any dirt, oil, or previous sealants. This may require power washing or using a concrete cleaner and degreaser.
- Repair any cracks or damage.
- Ensure the concrete is completely dry before applying the sealer.
- Choose the Right Sealer:
- Decide between a water-based or solvent-based sealer. While both give a glossy finish, solvent-based sealers tend to be more durable and glossy but may have stronger fumes.
- Ensure the chosen sealer is appropriate for the specific type of concrete and its location (indoors vs. outdoors).
- Using a roller, brush, or sprayer, apply the sealer evenly across the surface. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding application thickness and methods.
- Depending on the sealer, one or more coats may be required. Allow adequate drying time between coats.
- After the final coat, allow the sealer to cure for the recommended time before allowing foot or vehicle traffic. This can vary from a few hours to several days, depending on the product.
- Over time, the glossy finish may dull due to traffic and environmental factors. Periodic re-application (every 2-5 years, depending on the wear and product) will keep the concrete looking its best.
A wet look concrete sealer is a great investment for anyone looking to enhance the appearance and longevity of their concrete surfaces. Whether it’s a driveway, patio, pool deck, or any other concrete area, this sealer will offer protection and a stunning glossy finish. As with any home improvement project, do your research, select high-quality products, and follow best practices for application to achieve the best results.