When it comes to outdoor living spaces, a deck can be a beautiful and functional addition to any home. Among the many decking materials available, Trex is a popular choice for homeowners due to its durability, low maintenance, and aesthetic appeal.
If you’re considering a 12×12 Trex deck, you’re likely wondering about the costs involved. Let’s break down the costs associated with the different Trex decking lines and the labor involved.
Trex Decking Lines and Their Costs:
Trex Enhance®: This line is the entry level decking it has a scalloped backing but offers a bit more variety in terms of color and grain patterns. It’s divided into two categories: Basics and Naturals. The Naturals line closely mimics the look of natural wood.
- Cost: Trex Enhance Basics costs between $4 to $6 per square foot, while Trex Enhance Naturals is slightly higher, ranging from $6 to $7 per square foot for materials only.
Trex Select®: This is the mid level line of Trex decking. It offers a simple yet durable design with a shell that wraps around three sides of the composite board.
- Cost: The cost for Trex Select ranges from $8 to $9 per square foot for materials only.
Trex Transcend®: This is the premium line of Trex decking. It boasts the broadest range of colors and the most realistic wood grain patterns.
- Cost: Trex Transcend typically costs between $13 to $14 per square foot for materials only.
Trex Transcend® Lineage™: This is the premium line of Trex decking. It boasts the broadest range of colors and the most realistic wood grain patterns.
- Cost: Trex Transcend Lineage typically costs between $13 to $14 per square foot for materials only.
Trex Signature®: This line is considered the luxury line of Trex. Currently available in limited U.S. markets. AdvantageLumber.com does sell Trex Signature® and ship it everywhere.
- Cost: Trex Signature costs between $16 to $18 per square foot for materials only.
The labor cost for installing a Trex deck can vary based on your location, the complexity of the installation, and other factors such as the deck’s height, railings, and any additional features like built-in seating or planters.
On average, labor costs for installing a composite deck like Trex range from $20 to $38 per square foot. This means for a 12×12 deck (144 square feet), you’re looking at labor costs between $2,880 and $5,472.
Some contractors don’t charge by the square foot, some charge a flat price that is often 2/3 of the material costs. For example if all your materials for the job costs $10,000 then their labor costs would be $20,000 bringing your total deck build price to $30,000.
Don’t forget to factor in additional costs such as:
- Permit fees: Depending on your locality, you may need a permit to build a deck.
- Railings: These can vary in price based on material and design. Buy Trex Railing Online.
- Substructure: If you’re replacing an old deck, your existing substructure might be reusable. If not, you’ll need to factor in the cost for materials and labor for a new one.
- Extras: Built-in features, lighting, or custom designs can add to the overall cost.
Total Estimated Cost for a 12×12 Trex Deck:
Using the above figures as a guideline, here’s a rough estimate for a 12×12 Trex deck:
- Trex Enhance Basics: $576 to $864 (materials) + $2,880 to $5,472 (labor) = $3,456 to $6,336
- Trex Enhance Naturals: $864 to $1,008 (materials) + $2,880 to $5,472 (labor) = $3,744 to $6,480
- Trex Select: $1,152 to $1,296 (materials) + $2,880 to $5,472 (labor) = $4,032 to $6,768
- Trex Transcend: $1,872 to $2,016 (materials) + $2,880 to $5,472 (labor) = $4,752 to $7,488
- Trex Transcend Lineage: $1,872 to $2,016 (materials) + $2,880 to $5,472 (labor) = $4,752 to $7,488
- Trex Signature®: $2,304 to $2,592 (materials) + $2,880 to $5,472 (labor) = $5,184 to $8,064
Remember, these are just estimates. These figures do not account for framing materials and assume you already have and existing deck structure that is suitable to reuse and re-deck with new Trex deck boards.
It’s always a good idea to get multiple quotes from contractors and suppliers in your area to get the most accurate pricing.
A 12×12 Trex deck is an investment that can enhance the beauty and functionality of your outdoor space. While the initial cost might seem high, remember that Trex decks offer longevity and low maintenance, potentially saving you money in the long run compared to traditional wood decks. Always consult with local professionals to get the most accurate and up-to-date pricing for your specific needs.